What is Discover Dance?
This 3 year pilot project brought together teachers and dance artists to explore innovative ways to use dance and movement to deliver curriculum learning.
To find out more contact becky [at] dance4 [dot] co [dot] uk (Becky Aram).
The Three Principles of Discover Dance
Watching dance in a theatre
• Expanding students' appreciation and understanding of dance as an artform
• Supporting a visit to a professional dance show in a theatre
• Strengthening links between dance organisations, professionals and schools
Live professional dance in the classroom
• Delivering the curriculum in an exciting way
• Investigating curriculum material through professional in-school performance
• Raising the value of dance within and outside the school
Using dance to explore curriculum topics
• Developing critical thinking skills through dance
• Using dance to solve problems in key curriculum subjects
• Providing professional development opportunities for teachers
See Discover Dance in practice here.
Examples of students performance work made in response to curriculum topics:
Past workshops have included:
Connecting with Dance Performance:
- Park by Jasmin Vardimon Company delivered by company dancer David Lloyd at Northampton School for Boys, Northampton
- Dreaming in Code by 2Faced Dance Company delivered by company dancer Luke Rigg at North Kesteven School, Lincoln
- What The Body Does Not Remember by Ultima Vez delivered by dance artist Hannah McBrien at South Nottinghamshire Academy, Nottinghamshire
- Mixed Programme 2015 by Phoenix Dance Theatre delivered by dance artist Tara Baker at Sir Jonathan North Community College, Leicester
Dance in the Classroom: planning and delivering cross curricular workshops
These CPD workshops for teachers shared approaches to delivering cross curricular sessions and took place at:
Manor School Sports College, Wellingborough
Tuxford Academy, Nottinghamshire
North Kesteven School, Lincoln
“The sessions so far have been fantastic and they allow dance teachers to gain new ideas, skills and approaches.
The sessions are extremely informative and the dance4 representatives are innovative and inspirational.
The sessions also give teachers the opportunity to network and to gain new contacts and resources to support their practice.
Looking forward to the next CPD dance session!”
Leicester Lead Practitioner Dance
“I would recommend this course for anyone who is involved in teaching dancing. I came away with new ideas and an excitement to get back to school and deliver the plan. The course was great fun and I met people who shared my love of dance. At an early bird cost of £20 this course is not to be missed.”
Primary School Dance Teacher, Nottingham
Like the Dance4 Schools Facebook page to be kept up to date with opportunities.